Sometimes referred to as College Roger A. Anglade, the College Roger Anglade or the CRA is a primary and secondary school that is held privately. CRA operates with one single motto - Higher & Higher or as they say in Haiti - Toujours plus haut. The school logo displays this motto of CRA. Roger Anglade founded the College Roger Anglade in 1957 along with Raymonde Anglade, his wife. The school suffered a significant structural damage during the devastating earthquake of 2010. Located in Port-au-Prince, the College Roger Anglade is one of the most prestigious and famous schools in Haiti.
Raymonde Anglade studied in Ecole Normale d'Instituteurs Elie Dubois and started teaching in a public girls school called République du Vénézuela and also offered private lessons at her family home. Roger Anglade on the other hand studied at Lycée Pétion until his secondary education and then obtained a scholarship in biochemistry at France's la Sorbonne where he studied biochemistry and contemplated pedagogy career. In 1953 he returned to Haiti and started offering private tuition to those students of Saint-Louis de Gonzague and Petit Séminaire College Saint-Martial, who were challenged academically. Those students excelled and Roger Anglade earned quite a reputation.
The Haiti earthquake destroyed many buildings across the island. A large number of these included schools and one among them, still finding it difficult to rebuild after the three years that have passed, is St. François d'Assise.
The school for girls, which is operated by the Sisters of St. François d'Assise, was almost completely destroyed by the quake. This year, the college celebrates its 50th anniversary, stronger, but still crippled by the loss of their technological resources suffered on January 12, 2010.
With a student body of 1,500, the school relies on technology to give an edge to its girls who are often from the strata of the poor, or suffer from learning disabilities. A generous donation from Polish sponsors of 12 Dell computers is currently put to good use, shared by the student body. However, there is a desperate need for 50 additional workstations for the primary and secondary schools of the college St. François d'Assise. Also necessary to equip the school with the vital tools that are synonymous with a sound education today is computer hardware like printers and A/V equipment such as projectors.
The year of 2010 brought many changes to Haiti, and to the Nouveau College Bird. It was to be the year of their 50th anniversary, and at the beginning, the college was decimated by the earthquake, a second time of desolation for the school in its impressive 50 year past.
Named after the American Methodist missionary Rev. Mark B. Bird, the Nouveau suggests rightly that the school had been reborn once before. It began as Wesley College, a school for both boys and girls, in the 1840's. After Bird's death in 1880, the school was moved and given its new name, then, College Bird. A fire gutted that building and today, after a build in 1960, Nouveau College Bird stands at the spot.
It has been a slow but eventual road to recovery for the sisters and students of the Institution du Sacré-Coeur de Turgeau. Ever since the January 2010 earthquake, which, in less than a minute, took down the old Sacred Heart in its entirety save for the gymnasium, the rebuilding process has been in progress. Now, the school can celebrate its brand new infrastructure, including the secondary school completed last year--with plans for three other modules to follow--, but there were many steps along the way to the restoration of the Institute of the Sacred-Heart.
The first months of recovery were trying to say the least with all but the gym decimated. Classes at Institution du Sacré-Coeur Turgeau weren't resumed until April of 2010, the months of February and March being used to clear the site of debris and for the erection of the tents donated by UNICEF. These tents, with their floors of tarpaulin, would become the classrooms, chapel and offices of the school for the next many months. Their perseverance shows in the commencement of their August graduations, held within the beautifully decorated gym that showed little of the rubble on the outside.
The Universite Quiskeya was founded by uniQ Brief in 1988. Since its beginning in 1990, the Universite Quiskeya has proven, again and again, its training quality and dynamism. Over years the university has proven its professionalism and reliability. The training includes two cycles of instructions. The Universite Quiskeya has six faculties which offer 7 Master's Degree Program(s), 16 Certificate Program(s) and 16 Undergraduate Program(s) so that the immediate needs of the population can be met. As mentioned, the training courses cover two instruction cycles. The first cycle allows the enrolled students to attain a license or certificate and the second cycle allow them to obtain a Master's Degree or a Doctorate.
Spiritans, a Roman Catholic Religious Congregation founded in 1703, have been working globally to help the poor and the needy. There are total 43 Spiritans who are connected with the Haitian Foundation of the Congregation of which 12 are ministering within Haiti, 12 others are ministering outside the Island Country and there are 19 seminarians from Haiti who are studying for priesthood.
One of the several ministries of the Spiritans in Haiti is the Petit Séminaire Collège Saint Martial (PSCSM). The Petit Séminaire Collège Saint Martial is located centrally at Port-au-Prince and it is actually a Catholic school that was established in the year 1865. Originally the PSCSM was a petit séminaire or minor seminary meant only for the candidates to priesthood. 7 years after its establishment, College St. Martial started operating as an open school which has, ever since then, provided quality education to several generations of Haitians. From 1865 to date, well over 300 Spiritans missionaries that include brothers and priests, have ministered and worked at the school.
The college, Regina Asumpta opened its doors as the first all-girls High School in Haiti's northern region and is today the only institution that operates a primary and secondary school, as well as a university of exclusively female students.
At the time, 1958, under the name of the bishop Albert Francois Cousineau, who traveled to Canada and found the Holy Cross Sisters, who oversee its running, the school was simply an all-girl high school. College Monseigneur Cousineau changed its location soon after opening as well as its name and has retained both changes for over 50 years.
Seeking to provide the greatest number of students they can with the highest level of education is the edict of the Collège Catts Pressoir in Port-au-Prince on Martin Luther King Avenue. An ambition even more to be admired as, when it was started in October of 1955 by Jeanine Vaval Laroche and her husband Ernest, the college was located then in the tiny room of a house on Nazon Alley.
Special programs included private lessons taught by Jeanine, and the school also catered to students who had difficulties in learning. Very early College Catts Pressoir made a promise to provide competent, learned and charismatic teachers to impart the necessary skills and requisite education through advice and explanation to the students, and they quickly established the confidence of parents, causing the demand for places at the school to rise. This led to a move to a building, currently the computer lab at the new location.
Quisqueya Christian School (QCS) in Haiti is one of a network of private Christian college-preparatory schools, scattered around the world. Its mission is to offer an American school-based curriculum for students, kindergarten to high-school age. In addition, the school incorporates Christian theology into its classes to orient children to the Christian values and beliefs that form its world view.
Two accreditation bodies, the Association of Christian Schools International and Advanced, have approved the academic standards of Haiti's QCS. Known as an academically-superior teaching institution, QCS's students have matriculated to such highly-regarded U.S. schools as Chicago, Brown, Cornell, and Duke Universities.
A Board of Trustees comprised of the Haitian Diaspora and upper-class nationals are appointed with limitless terms of service. They employ the school superintendant, who chooses the principal, who in turn hires the accounting and school-maintenance staff.
The Lycée Alexandre Pétion was founded in 1816 by its namesake, Haiti's third president. A high school located in Port-au-Prince, it educated the Haitian ruling class. Government ministers, Parliament members, and many of Haiti's rulers studied there. The school was established to educate the elite class and counted among its former students notable authors as well.
Lycée Pétion maintained its high academic standards for decades, but gradually became eroded by frequent government upheavals, and a stagnant economy as a consequence. For 150 years, the school boasted an excellent French-trained teaching staff. Math and science labs were fully equipped, and when textbooks frayed, or equipment no longer functioned well, it was replaced without hesitation.
Our objective is to share with you news and information about Haiti and the people of Haiti. Traditions, habits and the way we were or grew are alive in this site. We highly recommend that you Subscribe to our Newsletter and also share with us some of the things that are memorable and made us unique people.