Corn Meal (Mais Mouline)
Enjoy this tasty cornmeal dish hot and with sliced avocados on the side.
What you will need to make Corn Meal or Mais Mouline::
• 1 cup of corn meal
• 1 tbsp. of oil
• 4 cups of water
• 1 tsp. of parsley
• 2 clove of garlic (minced)
• 1 tsp. thyme
• 1/2 of an onion (chopped finely)
• Salt and black pepper (to taste)
• Hot pepper (to taste)
• 2 scallions (chopped)
• 1 cup kidney beans (dried)
• 4 cloves
• 1 400ml can of coconut milk
• 1 ripe avocado (large and slightly soft)
What you should do in making Corn Meal (Mais Mouline):
1) Soak kidney beans overnight in 3 cups of water.
2) Drain the next day and cook in pressure cooker with enough water to cover beans until they are tender. You may use a normal pot to boil the beans if you don't have a pressure cooker. Just add another cup of water and cook on low heat for an hour to an hour and a half. Then, separate beans from the liquid, saving both.
3) In a mortar, grind all spices together with a pestle.
4) Heat the oil in a deep, heavy pot and sauté the booked beans with the ground spices and onion for 5 minutes. Stir in coconut milk, salt, cloves and the water from the beans and bring to a boil. Stirring vigorously to avoid lumps, add cornmeal to the mixture.
5) Stir regularly while cooking for 40 minutes along the side of the pot with a wooden spoon to prevent sticking.
6) Add salt and pepper to tast.
Leave a ReplyName (required) E-mail (required, will not be published)
Our objective is to share with you news and information about Haiti and the people of Haiti. Traditions, habits and the way we were or grew are alive in this site. We highly recommend that you Subscribe to our Newsletter and also share with us some of the things that are memorable and made us unique people.