What you will need to make Haitian Patties:
• 1 cup of cold water
• 1 egg yolk (beaten)
• 3 cups of all-purpose flour
• 1 tsp. of salt
• Hot pepper (to taste)
• 1 tbsp. of vinegar (white)
• 1/4 cup of butter (softened)
• 1 cup of vegetable shortening
• 1 lb of cooked ground beef (or another other meat kind you favor)
• 2 tsp. parsley
• 1 clove of garlic (chopped)
• 2 shallots (chopped)
• 1 tbsp. broth
What you should do.
1. Make paste with the hot pepper, garlic, parsley and shallots.
2. Season cooked meat with seasoning paste and broth.
3. Cook for ten minutes over medium heat in covered pot while stirring constantly.
4. When all the liquid has been cooked off the filling will be ready.
5. In large mixing bowl, add flour and make a hole in its center. Into the hole pour water and add the salt. Using a spoon to mix, combine ingredients without kneading.
6. Refrigerate dough for 30 minutes.
7. Mix shortening and butter in bowl.
8. Roll dough into 1/4 inch thick rectangle then spread with half of the shortening mix.
9. Fold an edge over the middle and spread the remaining shortening on this section. Then fold over the last section and roll dough to thickness of a 1/4 inch. Fold into thirds and roll again, repeat, then refrigerate overnight.
10. Roll dough to a thickness of 1/2 an inch and then cut into rounds of 1 1/2 inches.
11. Place a spoonful of meat mixture on one side and fold over the other side, pressing the ends together.
12. Place on baking sheet, brush with egg yolks and baked in oven with a pan of water on the rack below at 4000 F for 30 minutes. Turn oven down to 3000 F and bake for another 20 minutes or until patties are golden brown.
Our objective is to share with you news and information about Haiti and the people of Haiti. Traditions, habits and the way we were or grew are alive in this site. We highly recommend that you Subscribe to our Newsletter and also share with us some of the things that are memorable and made us unique people.