Squash Soup or Soup Joumou
What you will need:
• 1 lb of fresh Caribbean pumpkin or a 12 oz pack of frozen squash (butternut squash is a suitable substitute)
• 8 cups of water
• 1 lb of cubed soup meat (beef, chicken, etc.)
• Salt and pepper to taste
• 4 cloves of garlic, crushed
• 1 lb soup bone (optional)
• 1 sprig of fresh thyme or 1 tsp. dried thyme leaves
• 2 whole cloves
• 1 stalk of celery, chopped
• 1 large onion, chopped
• 2 potatoes, cubed
• 1 chayote, cubed (optional)
• 1/4 of a small cabbage, chopped coarsely
• 1 diced turnip
• 2 sliced carrots
• 2 leeks cut into 1/2 inch pieces (whites only, optional)
• 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
• 1 Scotch bonnet pepper
• 1/4 lb spaghetti, broken into pieces
• 1 tbsp. of lime juice or vinegar
What you should do:
1. Rinse meat with lemon and water.
2. Season with salt and pepper and leave to marinate for 2 hours.
3. Boil meat, cubed pumpkin and soup bone in water for 2 hours until meat is tender.
4. Add remaining ingredients save the spaghetti and cook for twenty minutes.
5. Add spaghetti, cook until tender.
Leave a ReplyName (required) E-mail (required, will not be published)
Our objective is to share with you news and information about Haiti and the people of Haiti. Traditions, habits and the way we were or grew are alive in this site. We highly recommend that you Subscribe to our Newsletter and also share with us some of the things that are memorable and made us unique people.