Sauce Pois or Beans Puree
What you will need:
• 2 cups of dried red beans
• 2 quarts of water
• 1 cup of ham, cubed
• 3 scallions
• 2 garlic cloves, chopped
• 1 tbsp. parsley
• 2 shallots
• Hot pepper, salt and black pepper (to taste)
• 4 whole cloves or 1/4 tsp. ground cloves
What you must do:
1. Search beans for stones and twigs, then rinse the beans in water.
2. Cover with water and soak overnight. Drain.
3. Make paste with parsley, scallions, hot peppers and shallots.
4. Heat oil and add beans, sautéing with paste.
5. Add ham, parsley and water.
6. Boil until beans are tender, about 2 hours.
7. Separate 3/4 of the beans and blend along with some of the juice into a puree. (If you do not have a blender, use spoon to crush beans through a strainer.
8. Return pureed or crushed beans to pan with the remaining 1/4 and cook over low heat.
9. Season to taste and cook until sauce is reduced to thickness.
Note well: It is important not to add salt to beans before they are thoroughly cooked, as this will toughen them.
This tasty bean dish is best when served hot along with steamed white rice or cornmeal/Haitian polenta. It also makes a great vegetarian dish when cooked without the ham cubes.
Leave a ReplyName (required) E-mail (required, will not be published)
Our objective is to share with you news and information about Haiti and the people of Haiti. Traditions, habits and the way we were or grew are alive in this site. We highly recommend that you Subscribe to our Newsletter and also share with us some of the things that are memorable and made us unique people.