Rice Red Beans or Diri Ak Pois Coles
What you will need:
• 1 cup red kidney beans
• 6 cups of water
• 2 cups white rice (long grained)
• 1 finely chopped onion
• 2 to 4 cloves of finely chopped garlic
• 1/4 cup smoked ham or salted pork, cubed
• 2 tbsp. vegetable oil
• Sprig of thyme
• Ground cloves
• 1 green hot pepper
• Salt and pepper to taste
• 1 tbsp. butter
What you should do:
1. Clean beans and rinse in water.
2. Cover with water and soak overnight.
3. Cook beans in 4 cups of water until tender (approximately 2 hours)
4. Separate beans from water, saving both.
5. Fry the salted pork or ham until crisp, in oil if necessary).
6. Add onions, green pepper and garlic, then sauté.
7. Add beans and reserved cooking water then season to taste with salt and pepper.
8. Bring to a boil and add rice.
9. Cook for 20 to 25 minutes, or until rice is tender.
A great accompaniment to almost any cooked meat, Rice and Red Beans is a great side dish which can be ready within 40 minutes.
Leave a ReplyName (required) E-mail (required, will not be published)
Our objective is to share with you news and information about Haiti and the people of Haiti. Traditions, habits and the way we were or grew are alive in this site. We highly recommend that you Subscribe to our Newsletter and also share with us some of the things that are memorable and made us unique people.