Fire in Queens that killed three Haitians likely caused by unattended Soup Joumou
Investigators think the fire originated in the kitchen where a soup pot was discovered. They concluded the pot was not being watched, and a flare-up initiated the fire. The son of the couple said he thought his parents had been making Joumou Soup. The making of the recipe symbolizes Haiti's liberation from the French, celebrated on January 1st.
New York Fire Department Chief, James Leonard, said no smoke detectors were present in the apartment. But Le Frak City management argued ". . . the apartment was outfitted with smoke detectors . . . . a rider attesting to the presence of this . . . equipment was signed . . . by the tenant . . . " Le Frak is cooperating with the fire nvestigators to find the cause of the fire.
Leave a ReplyName (required) E-mail (required, will not be published)
Our objective is to share with you news and information about Haiti and the people of Haiti. Traditions, habits and the way we were or grew are alive in this site. We highly recommend that you Subscribe to our Newsletter and also share with us some of the things that are memorable and made us unique people.