Stewed Conch or Lambi Haitian Style
What you will need:
• 1 lb of Conch (shell, clean and skin it)
• A medium sized onion
• A pinch of Maggie
• A pinch of baking soda (to help expedite the cooking time)
• 1/2 a tsp. of Old Bay
• 1 tsp. butter
• Juice of a lime
• 2 tsp. of sour orange
• 3/4 of a cup of water
• 1 chopped tomato
• 3 cloves of garlic, minced
• 1/4 cup of oil
• 1/4 cup of scallions
• 3 tbsp. of tomato paste
• 3 tbsp. of vinegar
• 1 tsp. thyme
• 1 tsp. parsley
What you should do:
1. Tenderize conch with a mallet.
2. Cut into 1 1/2 inch pieces.
3. Places pieces of conch into a bowl and soak in vinegar and water for 2 hours.
4. Drain conch pieces.
5. Use oil to sauté onion and garlic until onion is tender (2-3 minutes).
6. Place remaining ingredients and conch into the pot.
7. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
8. Cook over medium heat for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally, until conch is tender.
While conch can be very expensive in certain areas, especially in the southern United States where a box may sell for $65, the delicacy is so enjoyable it is worth the price.
Leave a ReplyName (required) E-mail (required, will not be published)
Our objective is to share with you news and information about Haiti and the people of Haiti. Traditions, habits and the way we were or grew are alive in this site. We highly recommend that you Subscribe to our Newsletter and also share with us some of the things that are memorable and made us unique people.